Thursday, August 21, 2008

I Have a Feeling...

Ok, so I was talking to someone the other day about my recent blog post, and they said that people might not understand why I did this whole 'Ode to Boppy' thing (as clever as I thought I was being, maybe some didn't quite catch on.) So I thought I would clarify...

For the last year I have used this precious boppy to breastfeed my twins. Now this is significant because:
A) Most twin moms don't breastfeed
B) Even more can't make it to a year for whatever reason that may be (milk runs out, loss of patience/desire to breastfeed or breastfeed two at the same time for that matter)
C) Learning the 'art' of getting the boys on the boppy (it's actually called a Twin Nursing Pillow), getting situated, and getting over the immense back pain that this all brings as you sit in this position for up to 20-30 minutes is a TOUGH thing to do
D) There's really no other way to breastfeed twins at the same time besides doing it this way and some women just don't want the 'exposed' feeling that this brings (and believe me, it is an uncomfortable feeling at first!!)

So..I'm proud to say that we made it a whole year, using this boppy for every feeding, day in and day out. I would put those guys on there--one on each side, football hold style, and 'open up the milkbar'. When they were done, they would just roll off the sides and go along their way. I am also proud to say that out of the past year, only Nathan rolled off the boppy once and fell to the floor (and that happened just last week--he was way too quick for me to catch him. Poor guy! He's ok, though.)


do I look completely out of it or what?


So I did rummage up one picture of me in the hospital trying to breastfeed the boys at the same time (shield your eyes!) I didn't have the boppy pillow with me (what was I thinking? I couldn't have survived more than a day without it!) and what I had to end up doing was shove pillows under the babies' bodies to get them propped up enough to get to the milk. Crazy, I know. This is why I dedicated a whole post to the boppy. I truly couldn't have survived this past year without it! This was a pretty big accomplishment for me, especially since I thought that there would absolutely be NO way that I could survive doing it this way--and especially a whole year. I'd say that's something to be proud of. Don't you?

Anyway, if anyone is expecting twins or needs a coaching lesson on how to use one of these boppy's, I'd be glad to help. I'm officially an expert in the art of boppy-ing.

3 comments:

marci said...

Ok so I don't know who wouldn't understand the whole "ode to boppy" thing, maybe I just get it because I have twins(though we weren't able to breastfeed). Anyway I never knew you could be so darn hilarious! I have read it about 3 times because it makes me laugh hysterically! You are a funny girl! And by the way...CONGRATULATIONS on saying goodbye to boppy! Marci

Amber Wray said...

I loved your ode to the boppy. I would have to agree those things are the bestest friends a mom could have. You are so hilarious and way to go making it a year with twins. You should write a book, "The breastfeeding Mother's Guide to the Boppy" :)

Liberti said...

A year -- Great job, I liked breastfeeding so much I made it 3 months and may never do it again :)