BROKEN HEARTED
So Ben has been taunting me FOREVER about cutting the boys' hair. This is always the conversation that we have: "Becca, I'm cutting the boys' hair. It's time. Their hair is so scraggly and hangs over their ears. They have these curls that are so long and it's just time to cut them off." "No, Ben," I always say. "They are still babies. They are adorable babies with adorable curls. Don't you dare touch them. I'll be so sad. Why do you care so much anyway? Just let them have those cute natural curls for as long as possible. PLEASE!" Well, this conversation has gone on for quite some time now.
And so the other night when I went out to run errands and Ben says (as I'm walking out the door), "I'm going to cut the boys' hair!", I say "don't you dare" and think that there would be no way that he would actually follow through with something that he has been talking about for the longest time. Why would he do it now, especially knowing how much I DIDN'T want him to? I enjoyed my time away, thinking that Ben had things totally and completely under control at home. Well, when I walked in the door, everything was quite, the boys were in bed, and Ben was downstairs relaxing in front of the TV. I went down and thanked Ben for getting the boys in bed and then noticed that he had this huge smile on his face. Little did I know what was coming right at me.
"Becca, go look upstairs on the counter!" "Oh, Ben, you got me a treat. You shouldn't have," I teased. "No, Bec, really. Go look upstairs on the counter." Ok, did he clean the counter? Do the dishes? Buy something (he's been wanting a Nintendo Wii for forever, too). It's not our anniversary yet. Not my birthday. It's not mother's day or any other day that's out of the ordinary. So what's this big deal about looking at the counter? I halfheartedly walked back up the stairs and started looking for something on the counter, not really knowing quite what to expect. Low and behold, there in front of my eyes in a small plastic baggie, was something that I was not prepared to see. A lock of beautiful golden-blond curls were sitting there in front of me, neatly placed in a baggie, waiting for my next scrapblooking adventure (whenever that might be).
Needless to say, my heart literally began to break. I ran back downstairs to Ben and asked, "How could you? Ben, my heart is breaking." "Bec, I told you that I was going to cut their hair. Be grateful I only cut one of them. I figured I get to do what I want with one of the boys, and you can do what you want with the other." I then asked him which of the twin's hair was cut. He told me that I'd have to find out in the morning when they woke up. He just grabbed whichever baby was closest to him at the time and started in on the clippers. I couldn't believe it. I didn't know whether to cry, scream, laugh, or beat Ben up (not really).
I did not have a good sleep that night. Come to think of it, one of the babies cried out in the night, too. I bet it's because he knew his beautiful locks of curls had been chopped off that night. How sad.
I did think that Ben had probably gotten ahold of Ryan. Ryan has more curls and his hair tends to get more fro-like than Nathan's does. Well, when the little buddies woke up in the morning, this is what I beheld when I saw my dear sweet Nathan:
Ben has left me in a bind. Should I cut Ryan's hair to match Nathan's? (because, truly, they don't look like identical twins anymore). Or should I leave Ryan's hair the way it is (because I love his curls) and just be able to accept the fact that the boys look a little different, thanks to their darling father?
Goodbye, my golden-lock-headed Nathan. We will miss those beautiful curls that adorned your precious head.
8 comments:
Oh, the broken hearted. I am sorry for your loss, but thrilled with the outcome. I love short hair on boys...so sadly enough, I'm on Ben's side, but I am sorry that it hurt you. I am all for cutting Ryan's also, Nathan looks so adorable with his clean shaven look! I hope you sleep better my dear.
Ben is a gutsy man!! I just recently cut Logan's hair about a month ago and it was really hard for me. But once I did I realized how much more handsome he looked and he's still such a cutie! But only a mommy knows when it's time. I give you permission to pinch Ben. :)
I like the short look. The first six years of a childs life are the most important. If you let their hair stay long they may grow up to dummers in an 80's hair band. I have to side with Ben on this one
I am glad that all these posts are in writing. Everyone knows that friends don't let friends have mullets. So I cut it off and lo and behold many people throughout the world know that mullets are a thing of the past even for babies.
Becca, I don't even know what to say to you to console you. I guess what's done is done. I'm sorry.
I for one think it's only a matter of time before mullets are back in vogue and am sorry to see Nathan will be missing the wave of the future.
Post a Comment