Tuesday, August 05, 2008

Happy First Birthday Little Buddies!


Wow. I can't believe we made it through the first year. I never thought we'd get this far. Here's a little recap of how things went just one year ago: I was 38 1/2 weeks pregnant and the doctor said that if the boys weren't here by August 2, 2007, he would take them out on that day. August 2nd came (despite many prayers and pleadings that I wouldn't have to have a scheduled appointment for delivery) and so we headed to the hospital at 5 am to get ready for the c-section. I would have liked to have tried a natural birth, but sweet Nathan was not cooperating. His little behind was wedged right up against the 'door'. All went well and before I knew it, Nathan Rex was born into this world at 7:08am, weighing a whopping 6 lbs. 14oz! But Ryan was not to be outdone by his brother. Ryan Steven was born at 7:09am, weighing in at an amazing 7 lbs. 8 oz. (which was 1 oz. bigger than Addie when she was born--and she came a week late!)

I was so out of it that I barely even knew that I was holding them in my arms


Proud Papa holding Nathan (I think) and Grammie holding Ryan



I just remember holding those little guys in my arms and sobbing--feeling so grateful that they got here safely but also scared to death about what lay before me. I had no idea how I was going to survive. One baby is hard enough--how on earth was I going to care for two at the same time (not to mention my 2 year old)? I prayed and prayed hard that the Lord would see me through this trial-but blessing-and that I would come out a stronger person having experienced all that comes with caring for twins and a toddler.


cute little Addie with the newest additions to our family


Well, the first 4-6 months were a blur. Caring for twins (and a toddler:) is honestly the hardest thing I can say I've ever done. But thankfully I had help for the first 3 months and then after that I just really had to trust that the Lord would help me get through each day. My mom kept telling me that this didn't have to be what I thought was a trial, but could become my 'magnum opus' if I let it. I didn't know what to think then but looking back have discovered that I achieved more than I thought I ever could. These boys are healthy, strong, happy, and are a great blessing to my life. We have many more years to come, but to think that we made it through one year--WOW. What a miracle and I wouldn't have it any other way.

back in the day when they used to be able to sleep in the same bassinet!




So Saturday was their official first birthday. We had family over to celebrate the special day with us.


wow, even in this photo it's hard to tell them apart. I think I've got Nathan on my right knee and Ryan on my left


We opened presents, which have turned out to be a hit.



We then went straight for the cake (which took way TOO long to make. Next time I'm just going to Albertsons and buying one. After about 8 combined hours between my mom and I, we decided it was just too much work. But hey, it's cute!)


in case you can't tell, it's a candy train, complete with engine and caboose!


Nathan

Ryan

We love these little guys and are so happy to have them in our home. They truly are a blessing.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, LITTLE BUDDIES!!

(p.s. the current weights at one year are: Nathan--22 lbs. and Ryan--21 lbs. 12 oz. Way to go, Nathan, you finally caught up to and surpassed your younger brother!)

5 comments:

Tiffany said...

Wow, LOVE the cute birthday cake - I'm impressed! I like to try and make my kids birthday cakes too, but it makes things definitely more stressful. Nathan and Ryan are really adorable, and "1 year old" is one of my favorite stages...have fun with them!

Jeff and Risae Carlson said...

I have no idea how you tell them apart. They are so beautiful, congratulations on making it a full year!

Rachel Hubbard said...

Rebecca- Now I can count on being able to check your blog, and there will be something new there! Awesome cake, you need to tell me how you made that! I can't believe my eyes. That must have taken FOREVER (ok, I know you said 8 hours, but still) And your buddies look so HUGE!! They are growing so fast! Ahhhh...what a sweet entry by the way. That is really touching! Love ya!

Amber Wray said...

Becca-
I hereby bestow upon you the mother of the year award. You are awesome. Your family is adorable and so are you! I love checking your blog and keeping in touch. I was thinking about how your mom is so sweet and awesome. You had a great example to learn from. I think I need to give your mom a call and ask for some of her wisdom! Love ya!

Kriss & Jenni said...

Becca- It is so good to see how your family is growing. I can't believe it has already been a year since those twins were born. They are so adorable. Don't worry, the hard part is over. Now on to all the fighting with toys and being mean to each other. It is still a joy to have twins though. I love reading about your family!!

Jenni