Don't get any crazy ideas, guys--that's just what I said to myself as I cracked the egg into the frying pan for breakfast yesterday. That's right. A double yolker is what I got. And it reminded me of--me.I got curious and did a little research on twin yolks being found in one egg, and this is what I discovered, which I will so freely compare to myself.
1) 'A fertilized double yolker won't produce twins. The embryos can develop to term, but they can't hatch. A chick needs to push against the shell to break out of the egg. Two chicks can only push against each other and, apparently, this doesn't work.You can't play the hero and preform an emergency Cesarean either. Whereas a human baby is attached to a mother through an umbilical chord you can clamp, a chick is attached to the egg via a network of blood vessels that line the shell. One of these blood vessels will rupture if you try to break the shell. This means the whole system will be disrupted and the blood will drain. ' How sad. I mean, even though twins is the HARDEST thing I've ever done, I can't imagine my life without them. So a hen, even though she's produced two yolks, can never have twins. Poor hen. Really. Poor hen.
2) 'You'll find a double yolk in about 1 of 1000 eggs.' Wow. That's slim odds. And so it is with human twins. There are 31 twins born per 1,000 babies and with identical twins (which we have), only about three pairs of twins per 1,000 deliveries occur as a result of natural conception (which was our case). Guess we're good at defying odds.
3) 'Double yolks in an egg usually come from a young hen who is new to laying eggs and gets it wrong. Some older hens also lay them, a skill that is probably inherited.' So I'm either a young hen who can't get it right, or an old hen with SKILLZ (yeah, baby!)
4) 'Finding a double yolk means good luck (or that you are coming into money, dying or pregnant).' OK--just to get this one straight--there ain't no babies being made around here! I'll go for the money one. That sounds good!
So there you have it, folks. Go buy yourself some jumbo sized eggs and see if you can't get a twinner in there somewhere. C'mon, it'll be fun!
info found on www.claire-cameron.com
3 comments:
Bec, you better be careful...if you do twins so well you just might get another set. Ha ha the good lord knows me and now knows better then to give me a second round! Well, maybe not! Scary!
Becca, I read this and sent it on to my friend who also has twin boys. She laughed her head off because she just got a "twin" egg last month.
And then yesterday, I got one. I actually screamed. I'll take the money too, and even being pregnant but perhaps not with twin boys. :)
Becca, you're a wild child! Look at you go, a researchin' fool about double yolks!
Post a Comment